The following philosophies are mostly taken from The Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines into Massive Success and Happiness.
The Slight Edge was also the first book discussed in The Outwork Book Club. It’s that important. The information from the book forms the basis of a philosophy for success.
In the book, author Jeff Olson often makes reference to the five percent of people in the world that achieve their goals. One person out of every 20. A piddly amount of all people that set out to pursue their dreams ever make it.
The failure rate is so daunting that there is probably a more drastic number of people that choose not to start at all. They don’t even try because they expect to fail.
They think: It’s probably not going to happen anyway, right?
The good news? There is still five percent that make it.
The question becomes: how?
They abide by a set of rules that set them apart from everyone else. They employ a set of philosophies that enable their success. Its a slight advantage at first, but it eventually grows into the biggest advantage one can ever have. It’s almost magic-like.
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it! – Jeff Olson
BECOME A FIVE PERCENTER
→ Do the Thing and you shall have the Power
→ If you want twice the success, double your rate of failure.
→ Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal.
→ The difficult is what takes a little time; the impossible is what takes a little longer.
→ There is a natural progression to everything in life: Plant, Grow, Cultivate.
→ Successful people do what unsuccessful people are unwilling to do.
→ Become a Master of the Mundane.
There is a common theme among these philosophies. They all imply action and they all suggest success over time. The slight edge is about making incremental progress, every day towards that goal. They are mundane, easy to do, but also very easy not to do. Most people don’t do them because they are easy not to do.
- Don’t look for shortcuts or big breaks or buy lottery tickets. They step on to the path of mastery and stay on that path for as long it takes to become successful.
- Don’t blame circumstances or other people and take responsibility for their life.
- Are patient and understand that it takes a steady effort of small victories to win completely. Steady wins the race.
- Practice daily disciplines. They show up consistently over a long period of time with a fiery passion backed by faith.
- Have a positive outlook. It’s impossible to maintain daily momentum otherwise. Positive thinking is the perfect companion to a slight edge philosophy.
- Identify habits that don’t serve them and replace them with habits that do.
- Continuously seek knowledge through learning, studying, modeling, and doing.
- Read at least ten pages of a powerful, life-changing book every day.
- Work on their philosophy first because it is the source of attitudes and actions.
- Continuously ask themselves tough questions. They self reflect. Check and retest. Check and retest.
Only Five Percent of all people do these things.